people might not understand why.
I grew up in the 4-H system and I am more that proud to say it.
4-H is arguably one of the best youth organizations in the world and with good
reason! I was part of a local horse club in my area for 9 years and I don’t
regret a moment of it. Many people believe that 4-H is an organization strictly
for farmers and ranch kids but the beauty of it is that this proclamation is
completely wrong. Although 4-H clubs seem to be more prominent in rural areas, there are projects to suit
almost every type of person you could imagine. Sure, there are the typical
horse, cattle and sheep projects but you probably didn’t know about the projects
that go beyond the farm. For instance; cooking, small engines, small business, dog, rabbit, archery, computers, leadership, photography, sewing, woodworking…. These are only a few projects in Alberta! 4-H is a very versatile organization but what really makes 4-H great are the people, and that is why I thought I would tell you 13 reasons why 4-H kids are awesome.
1. Public Speaking – Yup, we know how to talk to large groups of people. After presenting speeches annually for numerous years, you tend to develop a knack for it!
2. Specialized Skills – By the time you are in your teens, you have developed a set of skills you probably wouldn’t have developed anywhere else. Whether it be how to properly groom a steer for the show ring, or how to
properly execute a proper tig weld, you can usually do things other kids in your grade 8 class can’t!
3. Camp Stories- You come back to school every fall with millions of stories from 4-H camp to tell your school friends! The only problem is, they don’t really want to hear them… but you tell them anyway… It’s their problem that they just don’t get camp life, you’re just trying to help!
4. You are a really good singer – but only when 60 of you are screaming the words to “Boom Chicka Boom” like a professional wrestler around a camp fire.
5. The ability to make friends – After all the meetings and functions and fundraisers you’ve attended, you have gotten pretty good at striking up a conversation with the kid sitting in the seat next to you. It’ll on your first day of college, I
6. You are really Photogenic – Without 4-H you probably wouldn’t know what a shaky face picture looks like!
7. You Can Dance! – If you’ve ever been to 4-H camp, (which I hope you have, and if you haven’t, GO!) you probably have spent at least a couple hours mastering dances like the two step, the jive and the Cadillac Ranch. Let’s be honest, you’re probably the envy of all your cousins at weddings.
8. You Get Stuff Done – You know what it takes to win that ribbon at achievement day or at the regional show and you also know that no one else is going to get that done for you! You are the one who halter broke that steer, or mastered that recipe or taught your dog to sit. Those qualities spill over into your everyday life, and I’ll tell yeah, you’re future boss is going to notice!
10. You’re really good at writing thank you notes – Sponsors are important and without them, most 4-H events might not be possible. 4-H on Parade probably wouldn’t be at the Stampede Grounds, and the hash browns at Battle Lake might not exist. Being grateful is more important than most kids realize!
11. You’re a good role model- After all the senior members that have helped you with your project over the years, you’ve picked up a few pointers. You yourself did eventually become that senior member helping a junior to plan out their speech, and you’re darn proud of it.
12. You are awesome at Pterodactyl - How do you describe this one??
Now, I could go on for hours and hours about why 4-H is awesome, but let’s be real, you probably don’t have time to read for that long! But if you or someone you know is interested in becoming another awesome 4-H member,
here is a website to help you out!